Homophobia In Football: Two Visions Of The Future

1. Borys says:

Do ask, don’t tell.
    I’m not interested in footballers’ (or other professions’) disgusting, if harmless, perversions.
    No need for anybody to “own up to their preferences”. Please don’t flaunt your filthy ways, keep them to yourself, thank you very much.

2. curranhung says:

Borys, just in case your message was seriously meant (and I find it hard to believe that anyone in this day and age could hold such views), I’d like to refer you to the Darren Purse interview in the link above.

“I’ve thought about it,” Purse says, “and there can’t be anything worse than living a lie your whole life.”

3. Dan says:

Good article. I’d hope that in 20 years’ time that everyone in football shares Mario Gomez’s view. And Borys, good on you for tracking down an article about homosexuality and managing to read it all the way through – we know it must have been upsetting for you ;) . The reason I’d disagree with you is that there are thousands of young gay men and women growing up who worry whether they’ll be accepted by their friends, their family, and the world around them. The more that homosexuality can be seen as something mundane and ordinary (rather than something disgusting that must be hidden), the less persecuted these young people will feel. It’d be great if one day football could help to provide role models for these young people to look up to, in the same way it provides role models for black youngsters to look up to.

4. Dunduks says:

“Don’t ask, don’t tell” is U.S. army rule.

I don’t give a shit about other person sexual orientation, but if somebody is openly gay then I can’t understand why it is legally for me call him “fat bastard”, but illegal if his sexuality is mentioned ?! It’s just doublestandard and very near to doublespeak (“1984″).

5. ejh says:

I’m sure you can understand, if you really try.

6. ejh says:

If it’s of interest, by the way, no leading professional chessplayer has ever come out. Just as there must be gay footballers, there must surely be gay grandmasters: but if there are, they’re not saying. It’s not just football where people are afraid of the reaction.

7. dunduks – possibly because it is possible for someone who is ‘fat’ to change their physique but it is not possible for someone who is gay to change their sexuality. Possibly because you don’t hear much about ‘fat bashing’ attacks but you do hear about ‘gay bashing’ assaults.

It’s really not hard to understand if you make an effort

8. Gavin says:

Dunduks – I don’t particularly want to encourage you to call anyone a fat bastard either, but there are good reasons why we’ve seen fit to give certain sections of society particular legal protection view of the social and context and histories of oppression and / or persecution that have amounted (and continue to amount) to far worse than just a bit of name-calling.

For the most part I don’t think it’s particularly difficult to see why that is or where such differences might apply. But some people seem to have more trouble with it (I was disappointed last week with the number of St Johnstone fans who didn’t seem to understand why there might be anything amiss with subjecting a Korean player to barking noises).

If in doubt, and if anyone really can’t make the judgement as to what taunts cross the line into unacceptability, then it’s safest just not to shout abuse at anyone. It has the added incidental bonus of making you a nicer person too.

9. Dunduks says:

BlackthornEnder –

“it is possible for someone who is ‘fat’ to change their physique” is very optimistic assumption and I’m sure gay bashing assaults are insignificant volume if compare to all friday night assaults.
    With assault it can’t be diifferenced if I’m black, white, gay, straight, fat, bald or simply non-drinking and non-smoking stranger.

10. Dunduks says:

Gavin –

I can understand your argumentation, but I didn’t think that histories of oppression and/or persecution that have amounted is valid argument for specific status nowadays.

I lived first 18 years in the USSR and I had bad experience with KGB/Communist party informants at school because I spoke what really happened in 1940 (I was 11 years old, I was lucky and it was only warning) and I’m absolutely certain that everybody has rights to express any view – homophobic, racist, Nazi, Commi etc. included. Of course, it’s stupid to have mass racist attack on opponent players if you are Arsenal or Chelsea etc. fan, but my faith is that it’s stupid not illegal.

I’m also lucky that my English is too bad for taunts and I’m going mostly to lower league games where aren’t many Latvian or Russian speaking players. Only time when I was ready for abuse (first row at Stoke against Spurs in autumn 2008) Pavlyuchenko played on wrong wing.

11. Yael says:

Just saw this. Great article. I’m glad more and more people are talking about this subject.

Thank you for the mention of Red Card Homophobia.

1. November 12, 2010

[…] Homophobia in Football: Two Visions of the Future – Typically excellent stuff from Twohundredpercent […]

2. November 18, 2010

[…] sexual ambivalence associated with the town’s population?  Oh yes.  Even in this week of several articles about homophobia in football?  You bet your sweet arse.  Will there be a tannoy announcement […]