FIFA, The FA and The British Press: No-one Really Wins The Moral Debate

1. Dermot O'Dreary says:

“The FA, with its decision to vindicate the franchising of Milton Keynes by including it in their bid, doesn’t deserve it …. ”

Spot on

2. Adam says:

Was just going to post the exact same thing, the disgraceful inclusion of MK Dons was an embarrassment. The decision to support Plmouth (average attendance 7,503) and their ridiculous plans to expand their stadium to 46,000 was beyond a joke too.

3. Jay says:

I have to agree.

The inclusion of the MK Dons was disgraceful, and the inclusion of Plymouth is irresponsible in that it sends out totally the wrong message to clubs pondering gambling on living beyond their means in vain hope that it’ll pay off through higher attendences and promotions.

As long as the FA ignores the best interests of their “market”, the fans of the game they administrate, Russia can have the World Cup. We’re the ones who pay for the season tickets, subscription fees, replica shirts… There’s no business without the consumers; the fans.

I’m sure I’m not the only fan who’s never been able to really back the bid. I’ve despaired about the state of the administration of the game for some years now.

4. Jertzee says:

As much as I would love to be able to take my (now) 11 year old football loving daughter to a World Cup final’s game in England I want England to fail in the bid. (for all the reasons above and more).
    I was going to say “I want ‘us’ to fail” but at no time will the FA and myself ever be an “us” after they sold my club down the river in May 2002.

5. Chris P says:

Agree totally with the comments above. I also fail to see how Britol City are going to build or fill their proposed stadium if they end up in League 1, where’s the money going to come from?

6. Martin Fielding says:

Fantastic article – well said!

7. I’m heartily sick of the whole thing, especially the way in which it has been used to shut down debate on the more questionable aspects of a certain club in Bristol’s planning application

1. November 5, 2010

[...] FIFA, the FA and the British Press: No-One Really Wins the Moral Debate “‘Please accept my resignation. I wouldn’t belong to a club that would accept me as a member’, said the telegram that Groucho Marx in his famous telegram to the Friar’s Club of Beverly Hills, and the Football Association must be inwardly feeling the same as Marx with their admission that recent press revelations into the behaviour of various senior FIFA delegates has had an extremely damaging effect on their bid to host the 2018 World Cup. The FA had apparently at first thought that they had managed to escape the ire of those at the top of the world’s governing body over the revelations made by The Sunday Times, but with an edition of the BBCs Panorama on the subject also due to be shown before the vote next month it is now widely anticipated that the award will go to Russia.” (twohundredpercent) [...]