Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight!

1. freemanintoonie says:

Great blog, have come back a few times…just thought you might want to know the blog title says Poland instead of Portugal.

Cheers.

2. Blog Goliard says:

Ran across you on the Grauniad World Cup site, and have enjoyed keeping an eye on your blog as we’ve gotten into the business end of the World Cup.

You are absolutely right about this glorious mess we witnessed Sunday evening. A shocking disgrace…and I loved every minute of it. It had that can’t-look-away quality of a really spectacular car wreck. I couldn’t contain myself and had to call my brother–who was on call this weekend and missed it, poor fellow!–to debrief right afterwards.

Oh, and the fact I was watching on Univision (the American Spanish-language broadcaster) made everything seem just that much more dramatic. At one point, the announcers jokingly reassured the viewers that they weren’t tuned into the wrong channel–this was not, in fact, the lucha libre over on Galavision, however much it might seem like it at first glance.

I just hope Cristian Ronaldo can return to action soon. My sympathies were with my Dutch friends in this match, but even so I couldn’t help notice the shameful way they hacked away at him from the opening whistle.

(Oh, and is it just me, or does he look for all the world like a long-lost Osmond brother? Could there be some shocking secret the family never told Donny and Marie…?)

3. twohundredpercent says:

Freeman: The clue over that would be in the time that it was posted :)

Thanks for pointing it out though – I’ll amend it accordingly!

4. Andrew says:

Also, in the ‘Dutch Courage’ post, you’ve headlined it ‘Serbia 3-2 Ivory Coast’ – although in the body of the text you write the correct score.

5. twohundredpercent says:

I was almost certainly drunk.

(Actually, I had a bit of difficulty with the fonts after I dicked around with the CSS, and actually ended up having to sort them out after I’d spent about 5 hours staring at line after line after line of code – it’s not a particularly good excuse, but it’s the truth)

6. Moore says:

You forget to mention the bit about your spacky monkey paws.

7. twohundredpercent says:

Obviously, not having opposable thumbs is a hindrance in this respect.

8. Ed says:

I’m sure someone can do better than 4 red cards. It’s just a matter of application.

9. Blog Goliard says:

Personally I find that CSS makes much more sense when drunk.

(As, incidentally, does Nietzsche. Just a little tip there from my undergraduate days.)

10. Packles says:

Woo- i remembered my old blogger password (I’m not EMO enough to have a regular blog)

I thought that the referee has got some pretty bad press this morning about the game- if anything he was too lenient. I thought there should have been at least two more reds (Figo and Boulahrouz) and probably some more yellows too (Robben and Kuyt for some olimpic quality diving). It is about time FIFA stopped fannying around and brought in a retrospective disciplinary panel to punish the cheats. Sep Blatter should stop showboating and sort out the mess he has made by insisting that every minor infraction is punished by a yellow card. we either need a new system so minor offences recieve a lesser punishment (sin-bin, green card?) or lessen the impact of a yellow card.

If things continue as they are then we will soon see the first abandoned match due to insufficient players on the pitch.

11. carlos says:

I absolutely loved this game. The bad blood between the two teams was scintillating. I look forward to watching them play again in the near future. It is truly the continuation of what started in Euro2004.

As for Portugal’s future, I think they would have had a real chance with England but the two missing players (plus possibly Cristiano Ronaldo) may prove to be too much of an obstacle.