Portsmouth: All Kinds Of Everything Which Need Investigating

1. Clarkeonenil says:

Lots in this article but also masses left out. How doe you look at Pompay’s problems without reference to the court case involving former owner Manderic, ex mangager Redknapp and the perminant feature of all Portsmouth’s issue Peter Storrieteller? IMHO Storrie is a Ridsdale writ large and all issues (not withstanding the interesting parts you mention, indeed my site mentioned the Swiss Court case last year after finding out about it via Google) flow through him. The Administrator hasn’t helped too much either with some interesing bending of the rules ala KPMG in 2007. The lack of a cohereant response from the Pomapy fans hasn’t helped (and yes as a Leeds fan we can’t talk) and the recent statments from the Pompay Trust attacking HMRC and almost demanding their club be left in the hands of the man who put them in administration in the first place (and seemingly supporting the Administrator) was very short sighted IMHO. You say the deserve much better, I say that when you sit on your hands during the good times, despite the lingering smell of something fishy, you can’t except anything but a long road back to normality once the facade breaks. Its 10 years since the slide started at Elland Road and its still not resolved, it will be just as long at Fratton Park.

2. David says:

You didn’t hear a peep out of pompey fans when Gaydamak Jr took over despite it being an obvious front for Gaydamak Snr.

Gaydamak Jr even listed pompey as one of his assets!

They profited from blood money and smugly enjoyed it and therefore I’m quite happy to watch them reap what they’ve sown.

3. Mark Murphy says:

You’re absolutely right that I’ve only looked at a few of the 94 aspects of the Pompey situation – there isn’t enogh paracetamol in the south-east of England to deal with the headache I’d have got if I’d tried to tackle every issue in 2000 words.

The “Storrie” situation will, please God, be the subject of rigorous examinations by the courts, for example (stop laughing).

I was looking at things from the narrow viewpoint of the liquidator’s investigation and the threat it appears to be under. As I say, the “real digging” and “greater insight” is available elsewhere.

The points you make about other protagonists are valid too. But as I say, there are SO many Pompey fans who deserve much better. And I stand by that.

4. SJ Maskell says:

Nice one Mark.

To those of you who want to sling insults at fans who sit on their hands – you tell me how we could have done better??

The Premier League thought Sacha Gaydamak ‘Fit and Proper Person’, chosing to ignore his father’s history, and let him buy the club. They also thought the notoriously absent ‘Ali al Faraj’ fit and proper.

There are other club owners whose money you could similarly call into question – where are their protesting fans?

We have been embroiled in this dispute for a long time now – the facts are complex. We still don’t know the whole story – and the libel laws get in the way unless we have concrete proof. Mr. Average-I-Just-Want-to-Watch-Football-not-get-involved-in-politics just does not want to know. We get enough flak from our own fans – some of whom still want to argue that Mr Chainrai has ‘saved’ the club. And they have lived through what has gone on.

So lay of it with your ‘got what we deserve stuff.’ And in fact, there were many who did ‘peep’. Were you on our message boards in 2006??

You don’t know the half of it – even if you have read the above article. If HMRC and other government agencies do not get involved in investigating this whole mess properly they are implicitly saying it OK – its only football.

And when its your club next – well I hope I don’t laugh at you.

5. Damon says:

Sometimes sarcasm does work in print.

‘ruthless investigative journalist’

Good work.

6. Pompeylor says:

Re David, I think “smugly enjoyed” is rather a bit harsh. Our mistake was trusting too many people far too much. We wanted to believe that Gaydamek was an honest guy, that the stadium and youth set was a way of creating a sustainable future. And when doubt came creeping into our heads, Storrie would come out fighting with “you calling me a liar?” and calm us all down. Most of us sadly bought it, and I challenge most fans of other clubs would’ve done the same.

I read these patronising comments we get from rival fans who would most definitely try to turf out an owner that kept us up, got us 9th in the PL and won a cup trophy. I can see them now at Wembley saying “Gaydamek out!”, walk out protests as we beat Man Utd etc. These oh so wise fans – presumably not Saints, West Ham, Sheff Wed, Crystal P, Man Utd etc.

I never wanted it to end like this but I won’t miss the parasites at our club both on (Defoe) and off the field (Redknapp). I won’t miss the concept of having to pay to watch Campbell’s face either!

The sad thing is it almost worked. The stadium was getting closer. That youth set up getting stronger. Then the greed and the worse economic crisis in living memory got rid of that!

7. Martin says:

“ruthless investigative journalist Henry Winter of the Daily Telegraph”

Ha! Such a creature scarcely exists in football journalism. The best they usually manage is “x is putting the money in”.

This place is far better, more thorough and informed than any national newspaper.

8. Martin says:

The fact that Gaydamak Jnr easily passed the Fit and Proper Person’s Test illustrates its patent inadequacy in almost every respect.

But can anyone seriously think that the very people who would lose most from such a change would ever vote for the test to be much more stringent?

Such a change will have to come from Government and/or public pressure via the media and there is precious little chance of either happening.

9. S.J. Maskell says:

In fact, the Football League and the Premier have tightened up the F&PPT to include a business plan and interview with prospective owners. This is the direct result of a meeting with SOS Pompey back in February.

SOS Pompey were organising a protest to be held outside PL offices. As an alternative the PL offered a meeting instead. The meeting discussed the ownership situation, revealling that the PL had a great deal of intelligence on the matter, and the fans were able to make suggestions regarding the revamping of the test – some of which have been adopted.

Whether the test is properly applied remains to be seen, of course.

10. Martin says:

I could write a “business plan”.

Who checks them then? The likes of Ken Bates and Ron Martin presumably?

Laughable.

11. Good evening,

It was of interest to me when I came across this article.

I wish to clarify a point he raised from an article I wrote in regards to whether Portsmouth’s creditors will demand an investigation in to what happened behind the scenes at Pompey.

I wrote the article after having the privilege of attending the closed-doors creditors meeting. Because my paper, Portsmouth News, appears on the creditors list as Johnston South (owed £20,000 for something) I managed to blag my way in to the meeting and quietly take notes in the corner.

During the CVA meeting, the administrator Andrew Andronikou said any investigation would have to be led by the creditors. Creditors would have to pay for the investigation out of their own pocket or out of monies recovered from the investigation if it did turn up any antecedent transactions. (Andronikou is on £400/hr!)

As you point out in your article, how this judgement could be made without any investigation happening, wasn’t explained at the meeting.

Basically, it has been left up to creditors to decide whether they want to take a punt on an investigation and then cover the costs afterwards.

In light of how much money some creditors have already lost courtesy of PFC, it appears unlikely an investigation will actually be forthcoming.

The short of it is, the CVA says the administrators are not going to carry out any investigation off their own back. They want the creditors to pay for it.

I hope this clears up a gap in the info in your article, which I have to say was a superb read.

In the coming months I may revisit doing a story on the investigation and whether it will it ever happen. In my opinion, if there is not an investigation it would be a disgrace.

My telephone number is on the same website as Mark found my story. I do so wish he had called me at the time of writing the article and I would have happily explained a bit more about the ins and outs of the Pompey saga. I’ve been working on it almost solidly for almost a year now so I’m sure I could have been helpful.

All the best,

Michael Powell
    Reporter,
    The News,
    Portsmouth

1. May 20, 2011

[…] at Pompey in recent times we have had the suspicion of Russian Mafiosi, arms dealing, money-laundering and loan sharking at the margins of the club to go along with the tax-evasion […]