No Ifs Or Butts

1. discostu says:

I was rooting for italy from the off, as i agree that on the balance of the tournament they deserved it, but once “Zizou” lost the plot i wanted France to win. Just so they could claim the trophy, and dance around like twats, with their captain unable to leave the dressing room to join them. I thought it was a nice touch that he had to walk past the trophy to leave the field.
    Whatever nastyness, racial, verbal, threat whatever was made towards him, you would have thought someone who spends his time before a game meditating would have been able to ignore it for 10 minutes. And them maybe stab them to death in the car park afterwards.

I wish that whatever team wins though would have the good grace to NOT TOUCH THE TROPHY until the captain is presented with it. That just gets on my tits.

2. colin says:

There’s a good way around that. Stop giving people trophies on silly little fucking platforms in the middle of the pitch.

3. Moore says:

No offence, but I cannot stand analysis that justifies a winner on penalties. Nobody won the damn game, but the Italians can kick it harder in a straght(ish) line on this occasion.

Incidentally, 9:1 the shootout. That brings earnings for this cup to £310. Bosh.

4. discostu says:

I still cant make up my mind whether i like or dislike penalties, and whether golden goal or not is a good/bad thing. Moore – would you prefer a replay rather than penalties, or perhaps an unending extra time with golden goal?

5. twohundredpercent says:

The MLS used to use a run-in from the halfway line, giving each outfield player 10 seconds to score. This would, I feel, be fairer to all concerned – more people used to miss, and there was less pressure on the individual players concerned.

6. Moore says:

I am also quite fond of the MLS experiment, and am confused as to why it’s never been trialled in some minor cup. I also quite liked the suggestion that during extra time one man should be removed from both teams every five minutes, until it ends up in both goalies having a fight in the center circle.

7. colin says:

I think they were using them for a very different purpose in the MLS, which possibly better suited the longer format – it’s also something North America is more used to, bearing a certain resemblance to ice hockey penalties.

Technically, in football, a shoot out doesn’t alter the result of the match. That remains a draw and the kicks are just used to select someone to progress to the next round, substituting for the old coin toss or drawing of lots.

In the MLS, they were using runs from 35 yards to contrive a winner in the event of a draw, so it was happening every single weekend.

I think they dropped it about five or six years ago when somebody finally managed to convince them that a tie is a perfectly valid result in league games.

Personally, I don’t think it’s any better than a kick from the spot.

8. carlos says:

I liked the MLS 35-yard system. It simulates an actual game situation much better than the artificial PK system. I think Cruyff was a bit fond of it but it has never been tried anywhere. I personally think it would add much more drama than what we currently have. I mean, I may be wrong, but I think the majority of people hate the PKs. I know I do.

9. twohundredpercent says:

Is it my imagination, or are penalty kicks less tense than they used to be? All the penalty shootouts in this World Cup seemed to be over very quickly.

10. discostu says:

I didnt find the england portugal one any less tense!