World Cup 2010: Paraguay 0-0 Japan (Paraguay win 5-3 on penalties)

1. raj says:

iam very hurt as the last hope of asia is now no more ,they are out. so sad huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm.
    japanese played great and ihope they will shock every body in the next WC 2014.

2. raj says:

japanese played great and ihope they will shock every body in the next WC 2014.iam always with the asian giant giant japan, my team. GOOD LUCK FOR FUTURE.IN NEXT WC INDIA WILL COME WITH JAPAN AND WILL CRUSHEACH AND EVERYONE.

3. ejh says:

What a bloody awful game. I lost my satellite coverage for ten minutes and to be honest it’s a shame it came back so quickly.

4. algeria da best says:

It was a dissapointing game. I really hoped Japan would have put on a good performance like they did against Denmark. It was a pretty boring game until the penaties. Japan scored wonderful penalties but missed some :(. It was a big dissapointing match!

5. Brenton says:

Was that the worst match of the tournament? I think it was.

6. Tim Vickerman says:

Not a great match but I think that was to be expected from the way the two teams lined up. Japan play effectively a 4-6-0 with Honda given licence to roam, pressure defenders and hold up the ball when he gets the chance. Japan’s big weakness is lack of decent forwards, whereas their strength is technically adept, pacy midfielders. The system has worked astonishingly well as they’ve gone into all games as underdogs. Denmark especially, fancied they could win, left space at the back and also made some mistakes.

Paraguay’s success is based on their strong defence but both teams were more comfortable being underdogs and exploiting teams on the break. When it comes to dominating possession and breaking down decent teams that defend in numbers, neither of these sides has that experience. Paraguay will be much more comfortable reverting to type against Spain, though I fancy Spainand the exceptional Villa will have too much.

7. algeria da best says:

Well said Tim Vickerman. Both teams wanted to win, and where afraid to get goals scored against them. So, they played defensively. I enjoyed Japan playing, I like their passes. Paraguay wont go further. I hope Villa scores more goals!