What The Premier League Thinks Of You – A Response

1. Anonymous says:

BASTARDS

2. Vic Crescit says:

Top analysis my man. Couldn’t have put it better myself. I shall be punting a link to this piece as far and wide as I can.

Vic Crescit
    VERY pissed off Gooner of 40years standing.

3. sp3ktor says:

Ooooooo the FSF are coming to get Richard Scudamore – he must be sooo scared.

That meeting must have been the biggest load of cock ever, the football equivalent of the People’s Front of Judea versus a dead man walking, I really can’t think of anything more pathetic.

Scudamore is playing his last hand – he’s under pressure to deliver more. That’s the thing about business – it’s all about year on year growth. You got 25% growth this year – great – now do it again or you’re sacked. And if Scudamore does go, he’ll just be replaced by someone with equally mad ideas. Incidently it’s not the first time he’s used the spreading the wealth argument – saying how the EPL is very fair at distributing cash from TV revenue unlike La Liga and Serie A where clubs negotiate their own deal (but that can wait another day).

The whole plan is unworkable guff – it smacks of that episode of The Thick Of It when they make up a policy in the back of a car on the way to a press conference. The fact remains however that Pandora’s Box is open and EPL Chairman are hungrily looking at new revenue streams.

So what can clubs be offered as a replacement, off the top of my head I can think eight domestic league matches played on neutral grounds – the FA Cup, League Cup and League Trophy Finals, the three play-offs and two FA Cup semi-finals. I can certainly see the playing of three of these games (League Cup Final and FA Cup semis) as viable options. Sure it will piss off the regular customers, but they’ll come back – they always do.

So are the members of the FSF are going to walk away from their clubs, good on them if they do – the sad fact remains that I don’t see huge swathes of empty seats at Old Trafford were the now supporters of FC United of Manchester once sat.

4. Anonymous says:

I agree with your summing up of Dastardly Scudamore, but it only emphasises the growing feeling that we the fans are now just units to extract money from.
    The sad thing is that most of us are aware of this and go willingly to the slaughter.
    I have just purchased my £50 ticket knowing that it’s outrageous really – but I still do it! However there could be a tipping point and I feel that we are very near to reaching that.
    Thw whole basis of immoral players wages, overpriced tickets, stupid transfer fees is built on us fans footing the bill. The whole thing could come tumbling down like a house of cards if we are pushed that final bit too far.

5. Anonymous says:

I was at this meeting and have to say that he and his cohorts regarded us with nothing more than disdain.

He claims to be a football fan too but he doesn’t understand football fans and despite his protestations this is all about money and proving to the Premiership Chairmen ho much richer he can make them so that he can stay in his job.

6. papa bear says:

English fans: you need to read between the lines a bit further than you are now.
    You know the ‘franchise system’ North America uses that you have such contempt for? It’s coming to a town near you.
    The Premiere League can only grow so far in the current state. If you think they haven’t looked at how the NFL, a league with a considerably smaller worldwide audience, makes more than TRIPLE the money the Prem takes in every year you are nuts. He is saying all the same garbage they were telling fans of American sports many moons ago when they went to the full on franchise system.
    You better hope for your sake that when it comes you aren’t one of the ‘lesser’ clubs that isn’t deemed fit for a spot in the upper echelon.

7. papa bear says:

I should point out, that is if the biggest clubs in Europe don’t get their way first and form the much ballyhooed and Arsene Wenger supported ‘European Super League’ where you better be a fan of ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal or else you won’t have a team in the ‘top flight’ to cheer for.

8. 200percent says:

Papa Bear, thanks for your comments. I was having this discussion with someone the other day, but it is purely speculation so I haven’t posted it up on here, but I strongly suspect that promotion and relegation will be the next things that the Premier League hold up to scrutiny and, yes, I agree that franchising will probably be mooted sooner rather than later. It’ll be interesting to see whether the FA have the balls to stand up to it or not.

1. April 20, 2009

[…] Old Firm that they should pay £100m to join the Premier League’s second division. Along with Game 39 and Garry Cook’s hopes of a ten club Premier League with no promotion or relegation, this […]