The Steamroller Is In Town

1. ursus arctos says:

A number of my Interista mates take great pleasure in noting that Mee-lan cannot pronounce their name correctly in English or Italian.

2. Gervillian Swike says:

The point about Inter-Milan is a good one though. In the same way, there is no such club as Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Sporting Lisbon or Deportivo la Coruna. The equivalent would be Liverpool Everton or London Arsenal.

3. sp3ktor says:

The pronunciation of Milan with the extended i is the italianisation of an english word for an italian place.

My Italian is very limited, but as a rule of thumb the emphasis on any word in Italian (that doesn’t have an accent) is on the penultimate syllable. So for Milano the emphasis is on the a but for Milan it shifts to the i.

Amaze your mates down the pub with that.

4. ursus arctos says:

German television used to regularly refer to Arsenal London.

And sp3ktor’s theory is interesting, but I live in Milano and all of the Interisti I was referring to are native speakers.

5. sp3ktor says:

Yes, seen Arsenal refered to thus in the days when you could flick through the foreign channels on cable to catch your team playing in the Cup Winners Cup – before the days of homogenous UEFA coverage.

… can I also add into the mix PSV Eindhoven.

As far as Milan goes, I use the english pronunciation – the extended i is an affectation too far (yes Richardson, I looking at you!)

6. ursus arctos says:

*super pedant*

PSV is more justified, as the Dutch name of the club is “Eindhovense Voetbalvereniging PSV” or “PSV Football Club of Eindhoven”

*end super pedant*

It is certainly an affectation, but I find the “Mee-lan” pronunciation a useful way to distinguish between the club and city when speaking English. I might not do that if I liked them more. The one thing that drives me (and everyone else here) up the wall, though, is people who call them “AC”.