The Runners And Riders

1. Wurzel says:

Impressive list.
    Trouble is they have all (actually not sure about Klinsman) managed clubs.
    The England job is so different from the day to day involvement of a club side then no direct comparison can or should be made.I’d like to see someone with no previous experience thrown in at the deep end. It would have to be a top player to ensure the respect of the players, someone of the stature of Shearer, or dare I say it, Beckham

2. sp3ktor says:

Accountable to who exactly? And how? Is this simply to get the fools into the stocks so that we can all throw rotten veg at them?

While tempting, I’m not aware of a better system than the archiac gentleman’s club that we have at present. Give us some options, Ian.

New manager? Leo Beenhakker – he’s going to Euro 2008 even if we aren’t.

3. 200percent says:

No-one already going to Euro 2008 is going to take the England job, Unkie G.

If it was down to me, I’d umbrella the FA under Sport England, by the way.

4. Brian says:

I’d like to throw my own hat in the ring, if I may. Cons – No experience of football management at any level. Limited reputation within the top circles of international football. Pros – Willing to be rained on for the good of the national self-image. Took Moor Green to the Champions League in Football Manager 2007. Would actually take a knife and, with my own two hands, carve Shaun Wright-Phillips’s name into the spot on the bench from which I would never, except under the most horrific circumstances, ask him to move.

5. discostu says:

“Will change the national anthem from “God Save The Queen” to “Yes Sir, I Can Boogie””

Youve got my vote right there mate!

6. Duffman says:

Don’t be too harsh on him “Unkie G” (brrr). 200’s bold stance on the national anthem is the kind of root and branch reform we need.

I’m also in the Beenhakker camp. Or I would be if he hadn’t signed a contract extension with Poland. Nevertheless, Beenhakker is a proven international manager and serial tournament qualifier. Needless to say his name had not even been mentioned.