If In Doubt, Write A List

1. Red Ranter says:

I think your reasoning of him being welsh is a little unfair.
    Giggs is Welsh, George Best was from Northern Ireland.

None of that ever tempered them from being called legends

2. sportsfreak says:

Difference being that Rush looked Welsh.

Giggs and Best got hung on teenagers’ walls.

3. 200percent says:

I would say that it was the combination of being Welsh (and not qualifying for a major international finals), the low stock of English football at the time and the fact that Liverpool in the 1980s weren’t really the global “brand” that Manchester United are or were. Now, if Wales had qualified for Mexico 86 with Hughes and Rush up front…

For the record, I don’t regard not being a global brand as being, in any way, a “bad” thing. But you’d probably already guessed that.

4. Ed says:

The trouble with growing up in a non-football family, and then starting my football following life with Brighton and Hove Albion is, I’ve seen very few good players in real life. My favourite player I ever saw, regardless of never seeing them play, was Matthew Le Tissier.

My favourite ever Brighton player is John Byrne.

5. Red Ranter says:

And your thoughts on George Best? I guess Nor’n Ireland aren’t too much better off than Wales.

I think showmanship, and looks might make him an exception then, eh? What d’ya reckon?

6. ursus arctos says:

My favourite Rush story is from when he was at Juve.

He totaled three club Fiats during his one mildly successful season in Torino. Two of them he drove into trams. When asked what the problem was, he explained that the trams in England were a different colour.

7. 200percent says:

He neglected to mention that they don’t have trams in Liverpool (they might have had in the 1980s, but certainly didn’t by 1992, when I went to university).

I think that what RR said above was correct, by the way. He wasn’t a show-boater and admired him all the more for it.

8. Gary says:

Well he’s a legend in Wales … and he bought me a coffee in the Milenium Stadium after the Germany game last month!

9. Alan ETFC says:

John Jacobs, the Flying Pig! As the song went: “He’s fat, he’s round, he bounces on the ground… ” Tremendous keeper. I remember those games against Wealdstone only too well. Going to Lower Mead was never pleasant, and not a little intimidating.

10. John Jacobs says:

I take offence at this article I am at least 5’8″ and it definitely wasn’t a foul on Alan Cordice when he burst through on me.