“England” Out Of Champions League, Apparently

1. blogdroed says:

Tis bit had me perplexed: “… over the last ten years or so, as if English football supporters (except, obviously, supporters of the clubs involved) have stopped supporting “other” English teams in European competitions.”

I didn’t think fans ever supported the ‘other’ English teams in Europe. Nottingham Forest were despised in our playground as were Liverpool, Leeds and Derby … maybe it’s because we were in Wales!

2. Brenton says:

As an Arsenal fan, the only reason I can see hoping ManU or Chelsea progress further in the Champions League is so they’ll be more tired in their Premier League games. I’m Canadian, but I don’t see why Any Arsenal fan would want ManU to do better in the CL just because they’re based in England.

3. Richard says:

Agree with the others – bollocks to this idea that we should back English clubs in Europe. I hate ManU with a passion, nothing’s going to change that, don’t care who they’re playing. I was rooting for Munich last night and was delighted to see them go out to a great goal.

I also hate ITV – last night’s coverage being a prime example why. If ITV (and many BBC) presenters could take “Seraleck” Fergiscum’s cock out of their mouths for a few seconds, they might actually produce some decent commentary for a change instead of cringe-worthy puns and hyperbole.

4. Pete says:

I’ve never understood why English clubs in Europe are ‘supported’ by, for instance, my fellow Grimsby fans. These are the clubs that set up the Premier League expressly to fuck clubs like ours over, taking away TV money, of course, and also sapping local support. Given the number of plastic Liverpool and ‘Man U’ fans on the streets of northern Lincolnshire, these clubs are effectively our local rivals. We’re not expected to support, say, Scunthorpe as our local representatives in the second division, so why do we back Chelsea as England’s representatives in European competition? If you want to be patriotic, that’s what national teams are for. Support England and your local club, and bollocks to the big four.

5. I used to warmly support other English clubs in international competition because once they were knocked out, matches involving two non-English clubs were never shown live. Hence, early exits for English clubs meant less football on TV – one really has to cast one’s mind back to the days when only England v Scotland and the FA Cup Final were shown live on television. The bonus of an extra live club game in a 12 month period (e.g. the 1978 final between Liverpool and Bruges) was a real treat.

Now though, I agree with most of the commenters here in that there is no reason to support English teams blindly. Indeed, Barcelona v Inter will be mouthwatering in its clash of styles.

6. ejh says:

I didn’t think fans ever supported the ‘other’ English teams in Europe

Yes they did. But the trend to oppose them instead, however, goes back a bit more than ten years or so (I seem to remember writing a piece on the subject for When Saturday Comes rather more than ten years ago). I’d have said it has pretty much gone alongside the introduction of the Premier League. At the point at which a few clubs went out of their way to screw the rest of English foootball for their own enrichment, a large proportion of English football fans started to see them as the enemy. And quite right too.

7. Allan says:

Alex Ferguson’s comment, something of a pot/ketle interface surely.

Alongside Tyldsley’s comment about Ibrahimavic finaly arriving (because he had scored his first goals against English opposition) last week, ITV look as if they are lining themselves up as the Tartan Army’s least favourite sports broadcaster. Utterly cringeworthy.

8. Bobbles says:

I support my local side. Season ticket holder (Southern Premier League). I also support all English teams in Europe, and were disappointed to see them all drop out, although it’s clear Barca are by the far the best team in Europe at the moment.

But I like English teams to do well. I don’t disagree that the Premier League is bullshit, and I would welcome a return to fair division of TV money, and 4 divisions of the Football League. But I will still support English teams in Europe. I’m English. I also support the national team, and have been to a few Euros and WCs.

9. Alex says:

I’ve been reading and listening to all the media about how great and dominant the EPL is.
    And as we can see it obviously is not. It’s a league just like the others in Europe. Except now it has a ton of debt, and no teams to showcase in the champions league semis.
    The EPL should scrap the foreign players, foreign coaches, foreign owners and go back to cultivating young english talent.

10. blogdroed says:

@Bobbles

“Hatred in football is a sad thing, and says more about the blokes (and women) that spew the bile. Yes I get wound up at a local derby (during the game), and there are some characters in football and football media I don’t have much time for. But wanting English teams to lose? Nah.”

====

It’s not “wanting English teams to lose” – it’s that for many of us in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland an English team has as much relevance as a Spanish team or a German team.

ITV and Sky broadcast to all four countries within the UK and sometimes (or rather, very often) forget that we don’t all care about England’s national team nor its clu football teams – we are watching to see a good football match and we want the best team to win.

It does not necessarily follow that we will want the English team to win every time …

1. April 8, 2010