15 Comments

1. Al said:

would it be pedantic to say that “junior” is perhaps the wrong word to describe the lower leagues in Scotland? It has a very different meaning in terms of Scottish football- the East, South and Highland leagues are all referred to as “Senior”- the Beanos would most likely (were they to go bust) apply to join the East league.

Their position is pretty perilous- they have no real assets, as after they sold their old ground years ago they moved to Forthbank, a stadium built for them but owned by the council. I hope they survive though- more because I’m Alloa fan, than despite. No-one really wants their local rivals to fail.

January 22, 2010
  2. Brenton said:

What am I missing? Did a bunch of meerkats get together and offer the club money? Is there business called simply Meerkats? Do they sell meerkats?

January 22, 2010
  3. ejh said:

I believe meerkats are indigenous to the Stirling metropolitan area

January 22, 2010
  4. John Beech said:

The Grumpy Old Man in me (default position) has me muttering ‘Hear Hear’ like an obscure back-bencher, and the academic in me has me agreeing with you on your analysis of the dire financial situation the club finds itself in (and the lack of overall impact such a sponsorship deal would have).

But, a wee part of me is saying ‘Isn’t this all just a tad hypocritical of the SFL, organisers of the Irn-Bru leagues and the Co-operative Insurance Cup? Haven’t we long crossed the line in the sand in any case, objectionable though that is?’

To me there are far worse sponsorship renaming cases in England. I find it immensely irritating (Grumpy Old Man again) to have to stop and think ‘now, what is the Zamaretto in real money?’ to give just one example.

January 22, 2010
  5. Steve Thomas said:

I wish the FAW had the same rules as the SFA and FA. The advent of TNS not only killed-off a very well-run village club that have had to restart at the bottom of the Welsh pyramid but also “rescued” (took over and closed) the deeply-historical club Oswestry Town.

And now we have the disgustingly named Technogroup Welshpool Town which as not benefitted the club one bit as they are being relegated at the end of the season.

Thankfully those in charge of works team Airbus UK has seen sense and added the name of their village to their title: Broughton.

In a football world of money and millionaires, can’t we at least keep one little thing sacred?

January 22, 2010
  6. Martin said:

I’m glad they were refused permission for this nonsense, mainly because I predicted that franchise would be the first professional “club” to change their name to a corporate sponsor (I’m not including the TNS and Airbus nonsense).

January 22, 2010
  7. Gervillian Swike said:

I wonder how much good it would do the potential sponsors too. I love meerkats, I love the meerkat puppet adverts, I feel like I know personally all about Sergei’s worms trouble. But on reading the line that mentioned the word Meerkats being included in Stirling’s name, I felt a bit nauseous, a bit angry, a bit betrayed even. When I see the ad again, I won’t think of those mischievous meerkats getting up to scrapes, I’ll think of them as shameless opportunists, subverting the very identity of a region for a pittance.

Still, at least it’s not that fat tenor.

January 22, 2010
  8. Brenton said:

No, really, what are you guys on about? I’m in Canada, and I really don’t understand the reference.

January 22, 2010
  9. […] The Stirling Albion Supporters Trust Get It Wrong “Since the start of the age of the commercialisation within football, supporters have been pretty tolerant of much of the ‘progress’ that has been made. Sponsors names on shirts and grounds, kick-off times being switched to suit television audiences and matches being put onto pay-TV have all been tolerated when they benefitted no-one but those that stood to make a profit from it. There is, however, a line in the sand that seems beyond the pale in football in much of Britain (the Welsh Premier League seems to be an exception) comes with the naming of clubs themselves. This week, however, there has been a serious attempt to cross this line, and it came from an unexpected source.” (twohundredpercent) […]

January 22, 2010
  10. Rob Marrs said:

a) I’m not in favour of it or any such thing.

b) If the choice is between them going under and them having a silly name, I’ll pick the silly one every single ti

c) We don’t mind the Emirates, Reebok etc re: grounds. We can find our way around these things.

RCM

January 22, 2010
  11. Albert Ross said:

Brenton – the “Meerkats” thing is part of an advertising campaign for a price comparison website, almost impossible to avoid in the UK. It plays on the alleged similarity between “Meerkat” and “Market” with a puppet Meerkat called Alex. Such is the pervasiveness of the ads that pretty much any reference to the critters will have you chanting “compare the meerkat, dot com….” and muttering “simples” under your breath until, in best Hitchhiker’s Guide tradition, your own intestines rebel and strangle you….

January 23, 2010
  12. Brenton said:

Ah, thanks.

That’s crass, but I’ll agree with the above: if it means the survival of the club, I’m sure most supporters would go for it. They might want the league to step in and say no, but I wonder if they themselves would turn away from the club for doing so.

January 23, 2010
  13. Tony said:

Was the Llansantffraid/TNS payment of £250,000 paid in full in 1996?

January 23, 2010
  14. Wibble Wobble said:

It’s a frankly desperate attempt to prise the club from the fingers of an owner who isn’t prepared to sell; a publicity stunt par-excellence…or so they think.

The authorities are right to oppose this ‘move’. What’s especially crazy is that the defenders of an idea like this point the finger at the people they criticise for selling the game down the river and say ‘if they can do it (sponsored leagues etc), so can we’. Erm. Where do I start?

January 24, 2010
  15. Micky F said:

Are Red Bull interested in acquiring a Scottish team?

January 29, 2010