Kings Lynn Football Club – Time For The Wake

1. Paul says:

A very sad demise. One of the first clubs I remember seeing when I was nipper in the 50’s playing against Cambridge United in the Eastern Counties League.

2. Lol says:

A great pity for all concerned in, and for, the club.
    I heard Carl Heggs interview on the Non-League Show on Monday night and it was clear that the coffin nails had already been put in place by then.
    Struck me that any team rising from the ashes of KLFC should maybe consider him as the new clubs manager, that is, if he was willing to take on that roll.
    In all honesty you certainly wouldn’t blame him if he had had enough though and, from what I heard, he seemed to have been pretty poorly treated over the last few weeks.
    I Wish good luck to all those willing to give Kings Lynn back their team.

3. Tim says:

Did you see this? So, a private individual isn’t welcome to take on the club, even one with a record of reinvigorating a local sport team and talking eminent sense about not spending money you don’t have, but complex webs of holding companies with unknown owners are just fine? Hooray for The FA! All very fit and proper sir!

4. Simon Cope says:

@Tim – I didn’t read that as the FA rejecting a private individual, more a rejection of his intention to do away with the club’s current type of incorporation (presumably a ltd company), and replacing it with himself – i.e. no incorporation, operating as a sole trader.

5. ejh says:

Up to a point, but….did Chapman know what the rules were? Did he take the time and trouble to find out? Has this crisis not been going on long enough for him to have done so? Or did the possibility of taking over occur to him on a whim, and if so, is that really evidence of a properly-thought-through proposal?

6. Lol says:

I wonder if a little self-publicity for Mr Chapman and his other team may have been the spur behind his move to apply for ownership of KLFC. Any businessman would surely have been aware of the pitfall already in place from the governing body prohibiting him from ownership of the club unless he was prepared to accommodate the FA’s stipulations which, after all, are a matter of record for any interested party.
    I hope I am not doing him an injustice and apologise in advance if I am but he did get his name onto the BBC website and has done his benevolent profile no harm at all by this somewhat half-baked offer (How much would that normally cost?).
    It would worry me if someone in potential charge of my football club wasn’t aware of what was required to be in place by the governing bodies concerned before he considered making an offer.
    Just a thought!

7. Russell says:

Not good. there are plenty of farmers and business men in Lynn that could have taken it over (yes, Mr williamson! Eileen Shaw would be cursing you now!). They’ve made their money from people in Lynn and should have stepped in. £250k ? Thats nothing to them that live on Millionaires row.

Nonetheless, it has come to pass and I agree that the council & the community have a golden opportunity here, if they pass it up, they are more foolish than I thought.

I will miss KLFC. Many happy memories of going to see them.

Complete incompetence and selfish greed it would appear. Come on Mr Heggs, get the life back into the town. Good luck.

8. M.Dawes says:

I’m so sorry to hear of the demise of the “Linnets”.
    My father played for them in the late 1930’s prior to the war as a centre back. He would turn in his grave to hear this very sad news. Lets hope they can reform. I visited the stadium in the Spring and was shocked at the state of the ground. It looked very rundown, no doubt through lack of investment. I hope a generous benefactor can be found.

1. December 10, 2009