10 Random Commentators

1. wimblepool says:

re.: Barry Davies. 1995 FA Cup Final. Was it just me, or was anyone else amused when his commentary went something along the lines of: “Now, it’s the aptly named Sharpe to the equally aptly named …” (voice trails of as Sharpe passes to Butt)?
    Just me, then.

2. Ed says:

I miss these old commentators, especially Barry Davies. Oh, and Tony Gubba. His virtually inexplicable bias towards Southampton brightened the 1990s. The ones I like nowadays are the 2nd string: Steve Wilson, Simon Brotherton and Guy Mowbray. Motson has gone senile and Jonathan Pearce… well, he was great on Robot Wars.

The other problem with sport commentary in general is the execrable standards of grammar and syntax possessed by the “expert summariser”. Mark Bright huffs and puffs his way enthusiastically through games, usually squealing comically whenever there’s a goal. You know he probably knows his stuff, but what use is a journalist who is unable to convey it? I can tolerate Mark Lawrenson until he starts being all pally or jokey. So, in 3-4 second bursts, essentially.

This problem is not confined to football – ITV’s F1 coverage is hamstrung by Mark Blundell’s analysis “Lewis Hamilton’s pace what he’s got…”. GAH. They should let people like us do TV punditry, we’d be much better at it. Why don’t they? Because we aren’t big names, and we’re just too damn sexy for them. THAT is why.

3. Ed says:

Oh, and Peter Brackley supports Brighton and Hove Albion. ROCK ON.

4. Gary says:

What … no Idwal Robling or Huw Johns?

5. 200percent says:

Huw Johns and Hugh Johns are the same person, obviously. My all-time favourite. I know that he reverted to the Welsh spelling when he went back to HTV, but the reasons for the changes in spelling are something that I haven’t been able to establish.

Idwal Robling was, of course, at the 1970 World Cup – is he the guy who got VERY excited during the 1981 Swansea-Leeds match?

6. Scaryduck says:

Hugh Johns, otherwise known in school playgrounds as “Huge Ones”.

7. Chris says:

Great article – right up my nostalgic street!

I think I may be somewhat in the minority when I say I like a bit of hysterical shouting in my commentaries, albeit not *too* much.

I love hearing commentaries from the 1970’s where Coleman, Davies, Moore and even Davies went a bit loopy. Even today, Jonathan Pearce can sometimes light up a dull match with his excitability.

I was surprised to hear a few years ago that Barry Davies was actually an Arsenal supporter. I must say his neutrality was second to none in order to hide that.

I think Davies was my favourite of the lot. Much more articulate, much more funny than the others but with a nice laid-back approach too.

Shame he’s no longer behind the mike, in my opinion.