When Wycombe Made The FA Cup Semi-Finals


Ian began writing Twohundredpercent in May 2006. He lives in Brighton. He has also written for, amongst others, Pitch Invasion, FC Business Magazine, The Score, When Saturday Comes, Stand Against Modern Football and The Football Supporter. Ian was the first winner of the Socrates Award For Not Being Dead Yet at the 2010 NOPA awards for football bloggers.

You may also like...

5 Responses

  1. Ben says:

    Nice article – I was at every one of those games mentioned above, even Harrow Borough. But I missed the semi-final. I was abroad and couldn’t get a last-minute flight back for less than £2,000. Totally gutted, but it did give me the weird experience of having hundreds of celebrating Arsenal fans cheering Wycombe on with me in a pub in southern Israel (Arsenal’s semi win over Spurs was played immediately before the Wycombe-Liverpool tie).

    If we’d beaten Liverpool, we’d have been in Europe the following season.

    Amazingly, our FA Cup campaign the following season started out with a game even more remarkable than those on the cup run – a 4-3 win away against Hayes & Yeading on a rainy Friday night, live on Sky, which featured several wonder goals for both sides.

  2. NottyImp says:

    Stefan Oakes, of course, went on the play for Wycombe and is now with us. He’s a bit cack these days.

  3. Mark Murphy says:

    2001 was a remarkable FA Cup year, at a time when the competition was at a low point in the public conscience.

    Having studiously avoided the glamour ties – with due respect to Brentford, Southport and Southend, who we beat away from home – Conference side Kingstonian led Bristol City 1-0 at Ashton Gate in the fourth round. There were three minutes stoppage time, in which there were no substitutions or untoward delays. After 93 minutes and 30 seconds, Bristol City equalised. The referee was Graham Poll.

    We gained financially from his errant timekeeping, though, with the replay being on SKY, the winners meeting…Leicester City. So, how we contrived to lose our next FA Cup match, six months later, at Wessex League Brockenhurst, a week before entering administration, is another article entirely.

    And Conference colleagues Dagenham and Redbridge’s achievements in ’01 were, if anything, even better, nearly disposing of Premiership Charlton.

  4. Paul says:

    Roy Essandoh ended up having a very short spell at my club, Rushden & Diamonds, a couple of years later and he was very poor.
    However, you can’t take away what he did at Filbert Street that day.

  5. Ed Pettit says:

    Great article. I’m a Cambridge United fan and have to bring up the time we reached F.A Cup Quarter finals 2 years in a row with Dion Dublin leading our forward line. We lost to Arsenal at Highbury and to Crystal Palace at our place (The Abbey).

    We were a lower league club and it was a wonderful time to be a supporter. the victory over Sheffield Wednesday 4 – 1 was a particular highlight

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>