Football On The Internet… But Nowhere Else?

1. george says:

I think this is a sad day for the football fan.

Not because it is the first internet only broadcast, not because it will trickle into peoples homes and onto screens that can, at very best, be seen by no more than two people who will, hopefully, have brushed their teeth and cleaned their ears as they huddle together watching a staccato live feed.
    Not because it is another dollar exit from our wallets, but because no terrestrial or satellite company can be bothered to do something for the fan that just wants to watch their country play football, regardless of its importance.

It has the smack of inverted censorship: ‘We don’t think you need to watch this as it isn’t that important, so you won’t and you can’t watch the highlights either’

The last European Championship pulled in an average 4m viewers per game with some of the games breaking 7M so I don’t see how that equates to more viewers and England weren’t even there. It is made all the more fascinating when you realise that Kentaro are ‘capping’ the server traffic to 1 million takers

It is an ominous development but as an experiment it is very interesting. I haven’t a clue if it will work and won’t be signing in to my BetFred account to test the water, I’ll wait for the numbers on Monday morning.

2. Michael Wood says:

Far from being football on the internet and no where else Saturday has a rich program of matches in the football league and the non-league levels and Bradford City v Crewe is where I will be. Notts County aside I can not think of one club playing on Saturday who would not be a far better use of a football fans money and if you are a Blackburn fan thinking of paying for this then get yourself down to Accrington instead and take those mates from down the pub with you and enjoy good football rather than be at the mercy of an internet stream.

3. JohnBarks says:

I dont like what is happening but I also think that it is the future for the way sports and TV will be shown, This summer I watched The Ashes on a PC at work through Sky Player(so the commentry was brilliant something you dont have with this england game) and thought it was excellent coverage. Granted it was being shown on TV too but I wasnt able to watch a TV whilst at work. Weather we like it or not this looks like it could be the way we watch TV in the future. My other thought is what would it do about TV money and rights to games? What I have seen so far from watching sports online has been positive but I am unsure if they have it right with the England game.

4. George says:

I agree with Michael,

If the internet replaces the Pub, at the very least, I think you will see a fan black lash that could manifest itself at the gates. I hope it does because nothing beats the rush on the Stand, not television, not the pub nor the internet.

I know. I was a kid, sitting on top of my Dad’s Ford Standard as literally thousands upon thousands of Rangers supporters descended on Firhill to hump the proud and magnificent Partick Thistle by an unspecified amount with an unspecified number of minutes remaining on the clock, but by gum it was a feeling not lost on that five year old forty six years later!

5. Michael Bamford says:

Sad day for football – cant believe i cant even watch my national team play, its a bloody disgrace, i hope it fails and u all burn. Pure Bullsh*t!!!!!!!!

6. David says:

I already hate watching football highlights on the Internet because of those annoying adverts that they play before each match! Also, you can imagine that the pictures will be jumpy too – I don’t think that this will catch on, because it’s so much better watching football matches on TV, rather than the Internet.

7. Moore says:

I have to say I’m surprised by the luddite attitude from some observers. While I agree that where possible all International matches should be available free to air to the nation in question, I think this relatively unimportant (but competeive) fixture is a great way to test out the technology for a live match.

I think a lot of people are equating the quality with what they see when they try to stream the Premier League from Justin.tv. Don;t forget that hundreds of thousands of people can stream HD content from the BBC at one time without a stutter, so the tech is definitely there to make a rich viewing experience.

I’m also surprised by the comments about huddling round a laptop to watch a 14″ screen. Surely with the amount of internet enabled devices out there which connect to HD television sets it can’t only be a technological elite who can watch internet provided content in just as much comfort as they can traditional television. I think it likely a lot more people can do this than realise they can, and it takes events like these for people to open up to the potential of the expensive boxes piled up around their brand new HDTV. Porbably every one of the laptops referred to has an output which can plug into an HDMI socket with little expertise required.

I think it’s important to remember we’re probably only 5-10 years from all content being delivered to our homes over data connections rather than radio waves (getting more likely by the day as BT announce more fiber to the home, and the Broadband Tax gets pushed through before the next election), and getting the tech and presentation right in matches like this is vital so that when the 2018 world cup is broadcast, we can all lap up live 1080p coverage via iPlayer from the comfort of our sofas, for nothing.

1. October 10, 2009

[…] England game against Ukraine is only on the internet. Pitch Invasion and Twohundredpercent share their thoughts on it. I think it’s an interesting development, but I’m not yet […]