Scourges Of The Modern Game: Goal Music

1. Wurzel says:

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve yet to hear a single view in favour of goal celebration music – except from George Burley who claimed whilst managing Southampton that the players liked it, but I guess, due to the lack of goals actually celebrated that that was due to novelty value.

If it’s not banned soon the next logical step will have the William Tell Overture blaring out as a winger speeds down the wing, ending with car crash type sound effects as the full backs Terry Hurlock style tackle ends his run.

2. Jonathan says:

I agree 100%. I really cannot stand music after a goal. In fact for me it automatically renders a club ‘small time’ in my mind if I hear it. Can’t believe even Celtic blurted out that ‘Chelsea chelsea’ song (whatever its called) after a goal in the Champions League! Horrendous.

3. ejh says:

the next logical step will have the William Tell Overture blaring out

Which portion of the Overture do you have in mind?

4. etienne says:

I do like the Bundesliga PA goal response, first name given then the crowd tell the surname.

Obviously agree with the rest of it.

5. ruudboy says:

You’re right, of course, but at the same time let’s not forget the joy of ironically singing the Pigbag music as an away fan at Middlesbrough after your team’s scored.

6. Michael Wood says:

The problem with goal music is it tries to hide that fact that the atmosphere at the majority of football grounds has gone down the toilet. The biggest thrill I used to get from football was the old “Yeaaaah-aawwwww-yeaaah!” of a ball shot at goal that was saved or hit the post or was some how prevented from going in breaking hearts of all around only to be then tidied into the net by another player “Yeaaah-awwwww-yeah!”

Last week I heard “Yeaaaah-You Useless Tw*t-yeaaaah”. That is “Yes this looks like a goal – No, it isnt ergo I must pile all the vitriol in my body onto the soul who took the shot that has disappointed me – Yes its a goal”.

This is what passes for support these days at football and frankly I’m not sure that it would not be more enjoyable to just have PigBag pumped out so loud that each fan can hear nothing but it and the relentless negativity does not get to the pitch.

I’m exaggerating for comic effect but only a bit. Clubs are not very good at managing atmosphere but fans are not good at it anymore either and that is a bigger problem. For example if you look at the Manchester United Arsene Wenger chant story of recent days you might conclude that fans can not be trusted with creating the atmosphere at grounds.

The German way is good cause it is fan based but I swear that over the past three years had our number 15 scored and the PA had gone “Joe….” the retort would have been miserable men shouting back a different C word to “Colbeck” and encouraging their kids to do the same.

7. Mark B says:

Aaah but is it really about not trusting the fans to create atmosphere? I’ve wondered for a while if it’s more a way of crushing the spirit of away fans. I travelled all the way to the National Hockey Stadium in MK a few years back, and if it wasn’t bad enough to travel all day, sit in the cold in a stand with no roof, and then go behind after five minutes, the EXTRA LOUD blast of Celebration by Kool and the Gang that followed the goal really rubbed it in. And to this day, a horrible trip to Sixfields means I break out in a cold sweat if I hear Do You Really Like It by DJ Pied Piper and the Master of Ceremonies….

8. Jimmy Cass says:

A few Orient fans have cheekily suggested our home goals are accompanied by Yakety Sax (the Benny Hill chase theme). Ideally, it would be introduced for the Millwall derby: their reaction to it would be priceless.

9. John A says:

The songs they use are so obvious, that’s why it’s so annoying. A bit of Napalm Death would go down nicely I think.

I’d quite like to hear ‘Trouble’ by Shampoo when the opposition score, it might take the edge off the moment.

10. Mark Wilson says:

I Promised You A Miracle by Simple Minds would be the only appropriate song to play at Blundell Park at the moment.

11. Gervillian Swike says:

I like John A’s suggestion about “Trouble” by Shampoo being played when the opposition score. Perhaps it could be alternated with the majestic “Stick You” by Daphne and Celeste.

12. Jez says:

Not sure what the procedure is at the New Wembley, but my experience of finals – FA trophy 1998, and Blackpool winning play-offs at Cardiff (not sure which year) was spoiled by the high-volume usual songs from the PA at the end ‘We are the Champions’ etc. And then, in the moment of triumph, you get annoyed by the dullards near you who robotically sing along.

13. I agree with Etienne that the Bundesliga’s encouragement for the fans to bellow the scorer’s name works well in Germany e.g. Bastian….SCHWEINSTEIGER, but when Arsenal try it, it just sounds fake – this trend doesn’t work across national boundaries and only sounds good in German. As for music after goals – I agree 100% with the piece – it’s wholly reprehensible. Ditto Jez’s comments about “We are the Champions” being piped out at Wemberlee – strangely fitting for the new corporate stadium.

1. September 6, 2009

[…] Scourges Of The Modern Game: Goal Music “The ball is passed out to the wing. The winger controls the ball with the outside of his foot and runs towards a full back with a look upon his face that reminds you of a rabbit stuck in front of car headlights. Momentarily, it looks as if the winger can’t remember which leg is which but this is all an act, and he jumps away from the tackle. Approaching the byline, having looked up for no more than a tenth of a second, and crosses.” (twohundredpercent) […]