100 Owners: Number 92 – Doug Ellis (Aston Villa)

1. Leo says:

Exceptionally well written. Interesting and with both insight and perspective side by side.
    Thank you!

2. Shaun says:

Well written but I don’t know any Villa fans that have ever pined for Herbert to come back – the biggest ego in football to the degree that he intentionally broke up the league and euro cup squad as he couldn’t accept how successful we’d been during the few years he had no association with the club

3. George says:

ellis was a cock of monumental proportions who cared for nothing other than having a platform for his vastly inflated ego.

He ran our club like a corner shop, sold it for a huge profit and engineered having his name put on the Witton lane stand in preference to acknowledging the huge achievements of the 81/82 team.

I wouldn’t piss on him if he was on fire in fact I’d pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

4. Mr Beast says:

Nice article Ian.

The Conservative Party donations are a red herring. Doug Ellis received his knighthood for years of tireless and unceasing service to the best interests of Doug Ellis.

5. kentrebel says:

Sorry, but I can’t agree that he was worse than Flashman and co that you have profiled so far

Having seen so many Chairmen pilloried for overspending/fraud etc etc I’m feel Deadly Doug’s lack of ambition and over inflated ego pale into insignifigance

6. Ian says:

Just to clarify, these aren’t in any particular order until we get to the top 20 or so. It was getting to be too much work trying to sort them into some sort of order!

7. 1974ddr says:

Excellent article; I too find myself conflicted over Doug’s record at Villa. Certainly I’d agree that he had a monumental ego and loved being the ‘top man’- and don’t overlook his FA position in his respect either. However I do think that he generally acted in what he felt, rightly or wrongly, were the club’s best interests. It’s very easy for fans to say ‘spend spend spend’, but other clubs have done just that and lived to regret it. Nevertheless I personally think Doug was far too conservative in spending on the team, particularly in the early eighties when there was the chance to build on the Saunders team’s success. And I’ve yet to meet anyone who believes he didn’t know a2bout the renaming of the Witton Lane stand.

One small correction though; Villa were relegated to Division 2 in 1959 and returned the following year. The 1967 relegation from Division 1 was their third since 1888.

8. Macca says:

Villa weren’t merely one of the league’s founding members in 1888, Villa were THE founding club. League football was the brainchild of William McGregor.

Doug Ellis had zero interest in Villa’s history or status as a trophy-winning club. Villa Park, and being the owner of Aston Villa Football Club, was simply a vanity project for his ego. I have nothing against him as a human being, but, as a Chairman, he did nothing but turn England’s greatest and most historic club into a byword for mediocrity. Everything is in place at Villa for it to be the greatest club once more…all the club needs is an owner with ambition and a genuine desire to put the success of the club before self.