Roy Hodgson… England Manager?

1. Dermot O'Dreary says:

Poor bloke won’t be given even the merest hint of a chance by the Redknapp mafia (i.e. just about everyone) in the media, it’ll make the Graham Taylor treatment look mild. Even if he succeeds I can still see the Great Arry being given the credit in some oblique fashion.

2. Frank Heaven says:

Roy, I hope the comments on Twitter and from certain pundits are making you think twice about taking the England job.

You must realise that the majority of people who support – and write about – the England national football team are deluded fools, and will heap unimaginable humiliation on you at the first point dropped in Euro 2012.

Stay at the Albion, and your efforts in turning us into a respected PL team will continue to be warmly appreciated (not that we don’t have a few deluded fools ourselves).

3. Tybalt says:

I was quite looking forward to Redknapp as that would have been the last straw for my support of England. Disowning the FA and England have been a long time coming for me, but Hodgson would be such a good appointment that I suppose I will end up suffering through another farcically undermanned Euro challenge this summer. So it goes.

4. SD says:

Part of me hopes Hodgson will have the sense to stay at WBA and build his reputation there rather than get shredded by the media unfairly all over again like he was at Liverpool.

But then part of me wants to see just what he can do to England. He might have trouble dealing with the high paid prima donna players though. He should simply drop them and select players who want to play for England and not just for the money. I realise that would entail getting rid of the ‘experienced’ players in the squad but as the last WC showed having ‘experience’ in the squad counts fo rnothing if the team are simply not going to show up.

Good luck to him if he does take it.

5. Matt Smith says:

I can’t see him getting a fair crack at the England job. The problems of the England set up (rubbish players revered as gods) are almost exactly the same as Liverpools. I can’t see Hodgson getting any more support in sorting these out than he did at Liverpool and he’ll be hounded out by the press and the mobs of baying supporters who parrot their every word.

And Roy Hodgson deserves better than that.

6. Chris Hume says:

You are all mad and deluded. This is an appalluing appointment on so many levels it almost beggars belief. It didn’t have to be Redknapp but it sure as hell shouldn’t be this bloke. His record is a joke by the way. He ‘guided’ Inter Milan to 7th and was pelted by his own fans. Liverpool was a well documented disaster. Blackrn were bottom when he got sacked. His much vaunted ‘international success’ came in Denmark and Sweden. Are you kidding me? He is a dull uninspiring 4-4-2 man who regiments his teams. Good when you have a small squad and limited resources to aim for mid table. Not quite so good when you are trying to win games in an untra-competitive international tournament where ability to pick the right team and motivate them are the keys to success. International footballers don’t need to be coached. Do you think Aragones ;coaches’ Iniesta and Xavi?? He is the worst England appointment ever and is an indictment of the stupidity and incompetence at the FA. England have some veryu good players. This guy (if he picks the right one’s which I doubt) will ensure another dismal tournament.

7. Bobby Miles says:

Chris I think it is you who is ‘mad and deluded’. Selective anyhow…

At Inter he took them to the UEFA Cup final where they lost a penalty shoot-out. They even got him back again a few years after he left, and today posted a very generous message on their website which suggests they have a good opinion of him.

At Malmo he won the total league 5 consecutive times and the end of season playoff twice in those years (its like rugby league, the league season decides playoffs, the league winner is not necessarily the team who finished top) In those days Swedish club football was alright, IFK Gothenburg beat Dundee United in the ’87 UEFA Cup final after their Barcelona heroics.

At Switzerland, he took them to their first tournaments in many years, back to back, 1994 and 1996. He took them to a world ranking of 3, one higher than England have ever been.

I think this side of his career, put in this light, makes him look head and shoulders above Redknapp as a candidate, and frankly there aren’t any others despite what Bernstein said.