Banter, Fanaticism & The Number 96

1. Michael Wood says:

A more erudite example of the current problems football supporting has is hard to come by than this disturbing man and his purchase and the conclusion you draw is in my opinion valid and expandable.

Football website fora are brim full of people using the anonymity of screen names to attack strangers for their views – the editor of this site has suffered that as much as anyone – in what writer Paul Fifth described as the last recouse of football hooliganism and the first steps back towards it.

Telling though it is often the type of fanatic who is considered the core constituent by football clubs with their views given significant regard should they be booed from the stands or daubed on message boards. Clubs live in fear of upsetting the type of fanatic you speak of to an extent where illogical decision making for appeasement is common place.

2. ejh says:

The number of people who think it’s clever to refer to “Scumdon” on Oxford United message boards is deeply depressing.

I know at least two people who have named cats after football players. Would it not be better if football players (and indeed clubs) were named after cats?

3. admin says:

Lokomotiv Mimi Yoshimi Bambini (my very own cat’s name) has a certain ring to it.

4. ejh says:

Ah, another Japanese name, like mine. Perhaps Sporting Ichy would be my choice. Or maybe even Sporting Ichy The God-Queen-Empress Of The Planet Of The Cats.

Or Manchester Tiddles.

5. Chris Taylor says:

I used to have a hamster called Ericcantona.

6. Boris says:

My first cat was named after the bass player in the Sex Pistols.

While I agree with the main thrust of your article, I’m not sure that a) fanaticism was created by Sky etc, but rather that they tapped into an already existing phenomenon, and b) that the culture you describe has only been around since the 1990s. I can remember in the 1970s people naming their children after all the players in the team they followed, and others who painted their houses in the colours of their teams, etc. It’s only in the age of the internet and mass instant communication that it’s become more noticeable, but it’s something that’s been around since at least the end of WWII, and probably before.

7. Adrian Brown says:

Great article.
    Another side of this type of ‘support’ is thier ludicrous defence of price increases. I recently dared to question whether Aldershot might be charging too much for division 4 football and was subject to plenty of venom for daring to suggest that the club might, just might be getting it wrong.
    Most arguments were along the lines of ‘how dare you question our clubs methods’, and ‘would you rather see us sink back into non league’. The answer to which would be yes, if it meant I could afford to go. Success is all that matters to these people.

8. John A says:

Next cat I get is definitely going to be called Modric.

9. NottyImp says:

Surely it’s obvious that dogs should benamed after football players and cats should be named after Egyptian deities?