Steve Cohen, Hillsborough, Pride & Prejudice

1. A. Ruiz says:

You mean, Steve Cohen? :)

2. admin says:

Oops. Probably a Freudian slip, or something.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Note how I apologised for the mistake and corrected it immediately!

3. Fredorrarci says:

I hate to be pedantic about an otherwise spot-on post, but it’s the New England Revolution, not the Patriots (that’s the NFL team). And it should be pointed out that the Revolution’s coach is Steve Nicol, who was, of course, a Liverpool player at the time of Hillsborough (and I imagine he was in the team on that day).

4. Max J. says:

Fredorrarci pointed out what I was going to point out, so I’ll say instead that while I was once a rabid listener of Cohen’s show, it is not serious vehicle for serious commentary and many American fans have given up on it. Unfortunately, neither the anti-Liverpool bent nor the mockery of the Hillsborough victims is anything new for Cohen, I can remember a comment some years back about how Liverpool had five stars and 96 coffins on its badge. The man is a buffoon and his show is drivel. Let’s not give him the publicity.

5. Duffman says:

I’ve heard the World Soccer Daily podcast a couple of times. It’s awful and an insult to the knowledge base of soccer fans in the US. It’s worse that 606 with Alan Green in my opinion.

Cohen sounds like a throwback to the late 80’s. Newscorp sure do pick ‘em.

6. jd says:

Apparently the Gaffer from EPLTalk will be on NPR this evening (5/15) discussing the reprehensible Mr. Cohen and the Hillsborough disaster.

Yes, Steve Nicol the coach of the NE Revolution was in the Liverpool side that played at Hillsborough.

I guess i am going to have to start drinking more Heinekin while reading 4-4-2…could be worse.

7. Allan says:

Is Fox Soccer Channel (I hate that word – Soccer) owned by the same people who own The S*n, and we all know the untruth’s they spread.

8. A. Ruiz says:

“My issue is that we live in a country where we are entitled to free speech and these people are engaged in terror tactics,” Cohen said. “For me, it brings up the quote from “Macbeth”: ‘The lady doth protest too much, methinks.’ It makes you wonder … do they feel guilty?”

For someone who has lived in the United States, he sure doesn’t understand the constitution. Here’s the 1st amendment, someone should forward it to him.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

So unless congress has stepped in, this is not a free speech issue. The constitution doesn’t give people carte blanche to be assholes and not suffer consequences when you slander people.

1. December 7, 2010