Sunday Sunday

1. colin says:

I suspect they do it because, outside of Man Utd v Arsenal fixtures, games featuring either side of the Old Firm get the highest viewing figures when they’re shown across the country as opposed to just in Scotland.

I was at that game in 1987. There was a bit of a rammy in the box between Frank McAvennie, Chris Woods, Terry Butcher and Graham Roberts, during which the unthinking man’s Glaswegian Peter Stringfellow violently assaulted the Rangers trio with his throat.

If I remember rightly, while the first three all got charged with breach of the peace for that incident, Robets was up before the beak on the same charge for his antics later in the game.

Having taken Woods’ place in goal, he abandoned a kick to turn to the Rangers support and ‘conduct’ them in a rendition of one of their many lovely party tunes about knees, blood and their dad’s old clothes.

The charge was found Not Proven. Roberts recently left his job as manager at Clyde after being accused of making racist and anti-Semitic remarks on a club tour of Canada.

2. twohundredpercent says:

Lovely. Would you like a copy of it? It’s quite startlingly violent.

3. colin says:

Aye, I wouldn’t mind. To be honest, my memory of it was it being unpleasant, but roughly level with how all on-field communication is carried out when away to Arsenal.

4. colin says:

Oh, and – was 79/80 not a slightly odd season? I was too young to remember it, like – but I think Hibs were relegated and Hearts weren’t even in the Premier Division.

5. twohundredpercent says:

Email me your address and i’ll post it off as soon as i get some blank CDs. Hearts spent quite a while outside the Premier League, if I recall correctly.

6. Moore says:

Is every major football ground now kitted out with a permanent set of cameras for whichever broadcaster to use, or do they pitch up with their kit on the morning of the game? It seems unbelieveable that the TV companies would pay the capital expenditure for fixed cameras, and yet setting up would add a fair old cost to showing a one off match like this.

7. twohundredpercent says:

The cameras are the responsibility of the broadcasters, but Outside Broadcast Units are owned by every television station and setting them up is a time-consuming but relatively inexpensive. When I worked for Ladbrokes at Vicarage Road on the 1999-2000 season, the TV people would already be there setting up. This is how I met Richard Keys, and, yes, his hands really are as hairy as everyone says they are.

Curiously, one of the criteria that St Albans had to meet to join the Nationwide Conference this summer was to have a TV camera gantry built at their ground, because the Conference requires every match to be recorded on video. Who they get to do it remains a mystery, though. Sky own the rights to Conference football, but I can’t see them being too interested in turning up on a wet Tuesday night in March to record St Albans City against Forest Green Rovers in front of 300 hardy souls.

8. colin says:

Celtic have certainly got their own facilities to some extent, as they were the first club in the world to broadcast a competitive game themselves a few years back, but I suspect five would have used their own.