Parliament Looks Into Football, And Look What It Sees…

1. John Hyde says:

I note that much of what has been said has already been said before 7 is well documented on Broken Dreams by Tom Bower or The Beautiful Game by David Conn. If it was wrong then why has it not been acted on? Why are PL still full of their own perfor mance? Why does home club keep all the gate money instead of sharing with visitors like it should be?
    Grass roots is dying so PL can rule – founded on greed is only the half of it. If the guy believes enough is trickling down then he needs to eexplain this asinine comment with Portsmouth, Newport, Bournemouth, Leeds, etc – financial mismanagement or starved of funds, you decide. There is football outside the PL & the PL need to wake upto this fact. Before football in England is dead (see S.Times report today on Death of English Football.)

2. John Hyde says:

I note that much of what has been said has already been said before & is well documented in Broken Dreams by Tom Bower or The Beautiful Game by David Conn. If it was wrong then why has it not been acted on? Why are PL still full of their own importance? Why does home club keep all the gate money instead of sharing with visitors like it should be?
    Grass roots is dying so PL can rule – founded on greed is only the half of it. If the guy believes enough is trickling down then he needs to explain this asinine comment with Portsmouth, Newport, Bournemouth, Leeds, and many more who failed for want of funds – financial mismanagement or starved of funds, you decide. There is football outside the PL & the PL & media need to wake upto this fact. Before football in England is dead (see S.Times report today on Death of English Football.)

3. Alan says:

Szymanski was the co-author of Why England Lose with Simon Kuper.

4. Jertzee says:

I watched nearly all of the first session, and I did so thinking Patrick Collins would be the Fa/PL/FL apologist and that Szymanski would be the voice of reason.

How wrong could I have been???!!

Szymanski offered selective evidence to back his theories without once seemingly understanding what “football” is about to the millions that follow it.

To him it was merely about business and succeeding (well, he is an economist).

In the end I gave up watching it as he annoyed me so much I thought I might cause damage to the TV.

Hopefully the reaminder is still viewable elsewhere but from the stat I wondered whether it was all a waste of time.

Sadly I reckon it will take a Premier League to be liquidated before anyone takes any action….and I can’t see that happening….

5. Martin says:

You mean like Portsmouth Jertz?

Nothing will touch the Premier League while they still have a flushable loo.

6. Jertzee says:

Martin – unless I am misreading your post Portsmouth were not liquidated.

7. Martin says:

That’s my point. They should have been, but weren’t (football protected its own again) and so nothing will change.

I doubt even a Premier League club being actually liquidated whilst still in the Premier League would change much and that is almost financially impossible.

8. maliniok says:

Although I don’t like the Premier League model, I am against any government ‘regulation’. Firstly, the government has more important things to worry about at the moment and secondly, politicians tend to be corrupted so as a result we could end up with some wishy-washy regulations that in fact do not change much.
    Give Premier League time – its model is unsustainable and as such will collapse sooner or later.
    Few people had believed that the Soviet Union (I know, example is not proportionate) would collapse and it did – not because it was evil but becuase the funding ran out.

9. Jertzee says:

The funding won’t run out – they will be bailed out by the FA/FL and then it will start all over again, just like clubs in administration…..

10. Martin says:

“its model is unsustainable and as such will collapse sooner or later.”

No it won’t, unless the Government intervenes.

One of the prime functions of Government is to intervene to correct disfunctional markets.

I presume you are against tobacco and petrol taxes too for the same reason? Most people understand the reason for them though.

Your analogy with the Soviet Union is ridiculous BTW.

11. Steve says:

I wasn’t surprised in the least by Szymanski’s contribution as I had the misfortune to read his book – well, half of it anyway until I gave up in disgust. It’s in a charity shop now but from memory he considered the PL model a success purely because the tv contracts were rising and crowds were increasing at the big clubs.

To critics who say the PL is boring, because the top 4 was almost set in stone, he wrote it actually wasn’t boring enough and the PL would be more successful if it was even more unequal – presumably because more glory hunters both in the UK and the loathsomely named “expanding markets” would gravitate towards the most successful sides.

As noted above his definition of success is purely based on money generated and as such he must be Richard Scudamore’s favourite puppet economist/apologist.

12. maliniok says:

Jertzee – if you read back. There’s no point in carrying the discussion as we clearly have a different outlook. When there’s a problem you want the government to intervene. I come from the classical liberal school of thought where I believe that governent’s tasks are completely different – and running football surely is not one of them. As for the Premier League model – it’s easy to blame the government, Sky. Slightly more difficult to look slightly deeper and notice thise millions people who actually PAY for sky subscriptions, Premier League tickets, replica shirts, etc. Call me what you will, stubborn or stupid but I will repeat – NO to government intervention.