Match Of The Week: Manchester United 1-0 Crawley Town

1. Dermot O'Dreary says:

Sorry, can’t see beyond the activity funding the club, so no credit from me – they’ve cheated their way there. Let’s hope they cheat their way to avoiding promotion.

2. Paul says:

To paraphrase the dreadful commentary – “Steve Evans has done a few bad things in the past but he can only be judged on the future”. I’m sorry, we must forget (as ITV did) his conviction for the criminally fraudulent running of a football club?

The next highlight of the commentary – “on comes now the player they reportedly signed for £300,000″ And that was it, taken as read as perfectly normal. Perfectly reasonable, perfectly legit and perfectly acceptable that no-one knows where the money came from.

Commentators are journalists. Like I imagine the Sun have done all week they set about creating a story to fire the interests of the masses. But wouldn’t it have been more interesting if rather than grandly announce that Crawley had millions more fans, the commentators took the time to educate those millions a balanced view of “project promotion” and the laughably painted hero of the hour Steve Evans.

The final nail in the commentary coffin – with Evans accusing Man U of time wasting, the commentator says “that doesn’t happen in the lower leagues”. Anyone care to comment on the antics of Evans’ teams in the lower leagues since the commentator hadn’t bothered to see for himself?!

3. Harrys dad says:

As a supporter of Kidderminster Harriers I am gutted that our record of being the most recent non-league team to reach the 5th round of the FA Cup has been expunged by this particular side. I am full of admiration for Crawley’s fans of more than 6 months standing, who have suffered a lot over the last ten years or more. Steve Evans however is another matter. Not only his previous well documented fraud problems, but even worse his shouting and bawling at refs, players and opposing supporters, which have led to the huge number of games for which he has been banned from the touchline, and even the ground. One of the most unpopular men in football.

4. maliniok says:

Paul, could you please explain how the club’s funding is ‘criminal’? Is 200% tolerating libellous comments?

5. maliniok says:

Sorry, meant Dermont, not Paul.

6. Ian says:

Indeed. I have removed the offending word (sorry, have been away from the site all day). Careful with the language you use, there.

7. Kentrebel says:

I really do hope that when Creepy have bought themselves into the league the so called “fit and proper persons test” is applied publically to their so far anonymous owners, or is it too cynical to think that they will promptly put the club up for sale having extracted as much money as possible?

8. Dave Wallace says:

Nothing like being creative with the facts for a story – I have to disagree that Crawley had United on the rack. They looked pretty comfortable, and the looping header at the end never looked like going in. Crawley looked comfortable in possession I thought, but without every looking that dangerous, and Utd were always going to be able to step up a gear if needed.

9. maliniok says:

Kentrebel, so far they’ve been pumping money in and to be honest I don’t think there is any money to be extracted from this club. Crawley were skimt prior to this investment.

10. Harrys dad says:

A quick check of the figures shows that Crawley spent more on transfer fees last summer than all the clubs in League 2 (the one above their’s) put together! Football really has gone mad at all levels.

11. Dermot O'Dreary says:

Ian – apologies, don’t want to cause you any problems, especially as I suspect you probably share my suspicions.

I will of course be proved right in time.

12. Johnny C says:

Yes Paul, Evans always wasted time when he was managing Boston.

The Notts County in 05/06 (http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/N071005.html) was the worst example, but there were plenty of other times too. Pete doesn’t say in the report but I think it we had 5-6 players booked for time wasting that night.

13. Martin says:

“could you please explain how the club’s funding is ‘criminal’?”

Patryk, we don’t know if it is criminal or not, that’s the point.

If the funders and funds are honest then why still don’t we know who or what they are?

If such a prestige tie doesn’t bring out their funders’ identities and purposes then we never will and their funding can’t really be about sport in that case.

14. Martin says:

I also expect Steve Evans has learned from his lessons at Boston United, and I don’t mean in a positive way.

15. Two Left Feet says:

The time wasting comment sums up the poor standard of commentary that ITV provides. A total lack of knowledge, or interest, about anything outside their usual area of coverage.

16. Dermot O'Dreary says:

Martin – I suspect you’re probably right. I’m sure he’s much better at covering his own tracks these days

17. Russell Edwards says:

Apologies for nitpicking amongst the rightful condemnation of Evans but can I just point out that only Exeter managed a draw at Old Trafford – Burton’s draw was achieved at their home.

18. Martin says:

Dermat, these rumours of large up-front payments to players and lower wages would indicate that he has.

You can only hope that the local tax inspectors are all over their paperwork like a rash but I doubt it due to the sheer quantity of work they have to do with decreasing resources.