In Praise Of… The Topical Times Football Book

1. Webbie says:

Not familiar with that book, but one I used to collect was the Rothmans Football Yearbook.

Sadly I don’t possess any of them now.

Ack when you are chucking out things why does it always end up being the wrong thing.

2. Joe says:

I’m pretty sure the cartoons in those things actually were out of date – weren’t they archived syndicate stuff? My late 80s/ early 90s ones nearly always featured a Scottish team conspicuously based conspicuously on Ferguson’s Aberdeen…

3. Michael Oliver says:

Another great thing about those old annuals is that they are so politically incorrect by modern standards, especially when referring to ‘continentals’. The Empire lives on!

Good comment about Britain being much greyer and duller than is commonly remembered. The country as a whole was in a mess for many years.

4. Scrogghill says:

I vaguely recall my grandad’s 1967 edition featuring a cartoon strip by the name of ‘Dad’s Boobs were Terry’s Inspiration’

5. Kev M says:

I’ve got two Topical Times Football books. One is from 1980 and has a melee on the cover with Kenny Burns of Forest battling mid-air with a couple of QPR players and one from 1979 with what looks like Man U v Birmingham on the front. I don’t recognise any of the players. Birmingham are in an away strip of white shirts and blue shorts. Definitely looks like the Brum badge though. Adidas kit.

The 1980 one has a selection of cartoons on the inside of the hard cover called “Seen at the Match”, none of which make any sense.

The 1979 one has a large shot of goalmouth action. The front one appears to be Arsenal and the back one is a bit of a tussel between Rangers and Celtic and a ref.

Like you say… all very random and odd.

The thing is, that when I was a kid I was given a few TTFBs that belonged to various relatives dating from the mid sixties. I remember that the inside front covers, in these old ones, always had some mad cartoon images of people playing football in the street. Does anyone remember this? They were a full double-page thing with people hanging out of windows and that sort of thing.

6. Susan says:

Kev, in the 1979 one you have, does it have a photo of players holding up the sub boards with the message Happy New Year spelled out by any chance? Can’t find the photo anywhere!!!

7. mick corri says:

great photographs in those books, and the quality of the colour is amazing-bit like technicolour-they gave every team a fair deal – I still regularly leaf through them- nostalgia street is where you will usually find me

8. George C says:

Turning out my loft I have a copy of the Topical Times Football Book No.1, featuring Bobby Charlton on the cover. Also the Sportsview Book of Soccer No.3 (1960)& The Big Book of Football Champions (1960). A more innocent era for football when big money was absent.

9. ejh says:

there aren’t even any mentions made of what “The Topical Times” actually is.

There’s not a Wikipedia page for it, which disappoints me. I never knew what it was either, even when I was reading their football annuals.

I think you mean “sights”.

10. mike says:

i have the 61/62 and i think its great

11. David Godfrey says:

Hi,

I have just come across this website by accident and I can throw some light on the subject. ‘Topical Times’ was a sports paper that ran from 1919 to 1939. Approximately half of the paper was football. The British Library has 1,050 issues dated from 8th October 1919 to 30 December 1939. From 1927/28 to 1939/40 they also issued a ‘Topical Times Football Annual’. These were pocket size statistical yearbooks much like ‘Playfair Football Annual’ and ‘News of the World/Nationwide Football Annual’. There was also a ‘Topical Times Sporting Annual’ which also ran from 1927/28 to 1939/40 (I have four of these in my collection). Like the paper, approximately half of the Sporting Annual was football.

The name ‘Topical Times’ was revived in 1959 when they started publishing the ‘Topical Times Football Book’. This of course was a very different type of annual to the original. It was what some would call a boy’s annual with lots of features and pictures. The British Library has all editions from 1959 to 2001 (I only have six of these in my collection). There was also a ‘Topical Times Girls Book of All Sport’ first published in 1960.

There was an earlier sports paper called ‘The Topical Times’ that ran from 1884 to 1907 and a paper called ‘Topical Times’ that ran from 1913 to 1914, not sure if these had anything to do with the later paper (above).

I hope this information helps in some way.

12. mike hulton says:

just found this website.the topical times in my childhood was the”book” to have.five or six of us would travel all
    over the country getting autographs of the players featured.today,believe or not
    autographers still use the “tops” as it was nicknamed to get former player who are still alive or those that have gone into mamagement/coaching.i myself have the full collection with virtually every
    copy having autographs in collected by myself.

13. mark tipping says:

just had a sort through some of my dads old football and rugby books and found lots of these topical times football annuals some as old as 1931/1932. so can you tell me anything about them? they are all wrapped in tissue paper and very delicate. are they valuable? cheers for any info
    mark

14. JOHN HILL says:

yes they are valuable to a collector

15. ben says:

my late father owned the entire collection but dont have any idea where to sell them

16. Kevin says:

i used to get Topical Times Football annual every xmas in the 60’s. the great thing was the large glossy colour photos. In the age of B&W TV, annuals was where you saw the actual colour of the team strips!and the team badges. 40 years on, I still have them in the loft.

17. Mat says:

I have The topical times sporting annual 1937-38 Would any body know the best place to sell it as im not a football fan and seems a waist for me to have it

18. chris wassall says:

hi im looking for a topical times sporting annual 1939 , my grandad played for manchester utd and hes in that edition , so if anybody has it that would b great my email is mizzk1982@yahoo.co.uk thanks

19. eddie fleming says:

can anyone give me an estimate of what a complete set of topical times football annuals(1960-2002)is worth.

20. scherben says:

The 1979 Topical Times cover is United v Ipswich from 27th August 1977 (it finished 0-0)

The 1978 cover is from United’s 4-4 draw with Red Star Belgrade on the 12th August 1975

21. Kelly says:

Hi while clearing out my loft, I have come across a copy of one these books, it has no cover but i think it’s 1962 is anyone interested?

22. Yeo Hock Yew says:

I chanced upon this site of Topical Times Football Book. It’s a delight to know that so many of you still recall this publication with fondness. My first copy is from 1962-63 and it reminds me how important traditional illustration was at that time, well before the age of computerisation. I loved particularly the artwork of the life of famous footballers, e.g. Johnny Haynes and Gordon Banks. But a big thrill were the full colour pictures of football stars. Browsing the books now the footballers of those years certainly don’t look too glamorous (except Best perhaps) but that’s a reflection of the times when the world was not so sophisticated any way. And Topical Times was the right name and book for us, even for a Chinese boy in faraway Singapore in 1963.
    Hock Yew (Singapore) 25 Sep 2013.

23. David Dooker says:

Can anyone confirm that the 1967-68 Topical times book contains an article about Brechin City and there famous hedge.

Has anybody got this book for sale